Monday, August 18, 2014

Megan and Mac


On Saturday, Megan and Mac were married at the Storrier Stearns Japanese Gardens. It was a beautiful location, a hidden gem in the heart of Pasadena. I have many highlights, the first being Megan. She was so poised and graceful, calm. Really beautiful. The second highlight was that the ceremony was short and sweet and the most touching was a letter that Megan had written to her mom, who passed away. I don't know Mac, but seeing him wipe up those tears while Megan walk towards him was really neat too. 

The reception was truly one of the better ones I've been to. It started off with a bang and kept me crying and laughing and eating all night! Her sisters mc'ed and they were great - funny, personal, gracious, and touching. Her maid of honor nailed her speech, and the food was good. 

This was our first time having someone else put the baby to bed. We knew Josh's mom would be fine, but still, our thoughts were also at home. She thoughtfully texted us updates throughout the night and that helped the both of us relax and enjoy the evening out.

Randy, Megan's dad, and I have developed quite a little history together. I got to know him and Marion through a financial class they ran together many years ago. He kindly offered me a job while I was in grad school and it was during that time that Marion began to battle ovarian cancer, eventually taking her home in heaven. So I know it was a God thing - me seeing him day in and day out during that time. He let me boss him around a bit and I made sure he was okay. Since then we have remained friends, getting together here and there for a meal, passing hugs at church, and always keeping tabs on one another. 

I love him dearly and I was honored to help him pick out his wedding outfit, listen to his concerns leading up the big day, and watch as he gave his daughter away to a really great guy.


Now that we have a daughter I wonder about this dad role. You work so hard each day of your entire life for your children, and then one day you have to let go and trust them into the hands of a different guy. I can't even imagine! 

Josh is barely in the beginning stage of fatherhood and already his heart is in her little hands. One day I hope he'll be able to give his daughter away with as much grace and love as Randy did this past weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment